BlogTalkRadio Selects ScaleArc to Increase Performance of its Ad Serving Application
To ensure peak performance of its ad network, BlogTalkRadio needed to scale its infrastructure and produce more input/output operations per second (IOPS). BlogTalkRadio decided to upgrade to an Amazon Machine Image (AMI) on the Amazon Elastic Cloud Computer (EC2) service and required a solution to guarantee database performance.
- Optimize infrastructure to serve growing ad impressions
- Bottlenecks and poor performance limiting potential ad revenue
- Lack of understanding into database load and how to best scale infrastructure
BlogTalkRadio deployed ScaleArc for SQL Server to:
- Provide transparent caching in front of its ad server to handle increased traffic demand
- Boost performance, increasing its ability to handle more queries, serve more ads, and generate more revenue
- Leverage real-time analytics for increased visibility into SQL traffic to improve application performance
Following the initial deployment, BlogTalkRadio implemented ScaleArc in the cloud to cache read-only queries from Amazon EC2 to database servers in a secondary on-premise data center.
- Reduced database load serving 80% to 90% of traffic from cache without delays
- Increased query capacity to serve more ads faster for higher revenue
- Enabled full cloud performance deploying ScaleArc transparently in AWS in less than 30 minutes
- Lowered CPU consumption and I/O eliminating ‘hot’ boxes and improving SQL Server performance